Tuesday, May 23, 2017

an ending to the Open Ped experiment

So the semester is finally over - what an adventure it was trying to implement Open Ped, to be an unteacher. I feel like it's not quite right to say I taught the course. I'm coining this concept of unteaching right now, in the spirit of an unconference (according to Wikipedia, an uncofnerence is "a participant-driven meeting").

Nothing is perfect, and no plan is ever executed exactly as conceived. There were some parts that definitely need work, and some parts where I might need to have a heavier hand than I did this year. But overall, what a great experience.

Here is a link to the class's final project, The Primer:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1htA3wCSMs4Q0aruXykFhKEoNsb7IWDizC49jvH6YFNM/edit?usp=sharing

I was so impressed with the overall quality of this document, particularly the effort they made to standardize across the whole document - not an easy feat.

I am really looking forward to sharing it with next year's class and seeing it grow and mature.

For those of you who followed the progress of my class this past semester, I think The Primer is all the proof I need of how well my students performed. Is it perfect? Is it ready for publication by a major publisher? That's not really a fair standard. Keep in mind the authors of this document had never had an organizational behavior class before this one. And yet this is what they were able to do. I'm very proud of what they did.


No comments:

Post a Comment