Tuesday, August 15, 2017

RWL Newsletter #56 - not swimming with the sharks edition



Greetings from the University of New Hampshire! I spent the last two days on Cape Cod finishing up visiting our department's summer interns - the last two being in Yarmouth and Chatham. The above image is from an actual sign above the beach in Wellfleet. It's a beautiful beach. I didn't even put my toes in the water, though. Call me crazy, but swimming in a great white feeding ground doesn't pass the cost-benefit analysis. Sometimes the better part of valor is knowing when not to engage!

This week's links don't really have a theme - just some interesting things I came across that I thought you might find interesting. Enjoy!
Read

What:
 Thinking about leadership - a brief history of leadership thought from the Australian Public Service Commission

http://www.apsc.gov.au/publications-and-media/current-publications/thinking-about-leadership-a-brief-history-of-leadership-thought

Why: I'm working with a colleague on a qualitative study on leadership and was looking for a quick definition for adapative leadership and came across this nice summary of a variety of leadership theories. This may be of interest to those of you who have a little bit of a nerdy interest in leadership theory. Worth a quick scan. Go ahead, I won't tell anyone you're a nerd.

Watch

What: 
Ben Sasse on the Space between Nebraska and Neverland (full), Conversations with Tyler (1hr 19 min)

https://youtu.be/Rhe0NrFXxpI

Why: This is a long interview, but I really enjoyed it. There is an audio-only version available as well. I liked it so much, I bought Sasse's book, The Vanishing American Adult. I recommend it. If only we had more leaders who were as erudite as Sasse. 

Listen

What:
 JAMA, 
Robots Help Patients Change Behaviors

http://jamanetwork.com/learning/audio-player/14473887

Why: This podcast discusses the development of "socially assistive" robots for patient rehabilitation and training. These robots combine the physical and social - we are hard wired to respond to social cues. If we can get the cues right, it doesn't matter if we know it's a robot. I've been interested in evolutionary psychology for a while - particularly as it plays into economics - so that's how I listened to this podcast. It's fascinating how we can be manipulated - for good, in this case.



That's it for this week! Drop me a line and let me know what you think. I really like hearing back from you about the links you liked.

Thanks for reading and see you next week!
Also, if you find these links interesting, won’t you tell a friend? They can subscribe here: https://tinyletter.com/markbonica
I'd love to hear what you think of these suggestions, and I'd love to get suggestions from you. Feel free to drop me a line by e-mail, or you can tweet to me at @bonicatalent .

No comments:

Post a Comment