Tuesday, November 7, 2017

trying to balance the three legs of the stool

The pursuit of tenure is in part a balancing act, I am learning. We are to be evaluated for teaching, service, and research when our tenure clock runs out - but everyone says the first two with something of a wink, acknowledging that it's really research that matters. I was at a mentoring meeting a few days ago and someone quoted advice she had received, "If you want to teach, go to a community college." No one seriously expects to earn tenure by serving on committees, so at least there's that. Though my service isn't focused on committees. I learned to hate committees and meetings after a couple of decades in management. If I never have to be on a committee again, it will be too soon. Unfortunately, I'm on a bunch.

The challenge is that when the semester is underway, teaching takes up the bulk of my time. And what's left is filled in pretty quickly with service. The volume of both is self-imposed. I try to create experiences for my students that will meaningfully prepare them for their future careers - and that means lots of written assignments. Written assignments are the worst to grade. They are massively draining. But they are the most important for professional development - they are the only meaningful way to stretch a student's communication and analysis capabilities. I am actively engaged with several professional organizations, trying to extend the brand of our program in the community, and create new professional opportunities for our students and alumni. And of course I have my podcast, which is also at it's core a branding and networking effort as well. The combination of these things is at least a forty hour week. So research stalls, and the balance is completely absent. But how to get around these other things, that for me are the most important reason for why I want to be a professor?

Don't get me wrong - I like my research. I think what I am doing is both interesting and important. But I don't really know how to establish balance. When the students are here, I feel like I need to be pushing their agenda as hard as I can, whether they like it or not.

It's hard. I even went to a writing academy over the summer where they grilled us to "write, write, write". I first authored two papers over the summer, and was a co-author on a third. If I hadn't had some teaching responsibilities over the summer, I probably would have gotten a fourth paper out as well. But once school started back up, I have been sitting with a few things almost done, but making no meaningful progress. Now it's November and all I can think is, I can't wait until winter break so I can get back to my writing, because I don't see a meaningful break between now and then.







No comments:

Post a Comment