Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Class 3 - Personal Resilience!

Tomorrow's class is on resilience. The students have asked us to take this test
https://testyourself.psychtests.com/testid/2121
and watch this video

          Trust your struggle | Zain Asher | TEDxEuston https://youtu.be/BT2XlI8oeh0

I scored a 78 on the resiliency test, which puts me at pretty resilient. I think that's reasonable. I have been lucky enough not to face any massive trauma in my life, but I have had to bounce back from lots of change. I'm feeling a bit stretched by work right now, so maybe today wasn't the best day for me to take this test. That's one of the downsides of these tests, of course. Since they are self-report, the outcomes are influenced by your current feelings and which experiences you choose to focus on when looking for an example.

As I was preparing to retire from the Army, there was a big push to try to train resilience in the force. This was being done because of the rising suicide rates, especially among those who had deployed multiple times. Here, in good fashion, are some actual Army training slides - including instructions on HTGS, or "Hunt The Good Stuff" (It wouldn't be the Army if they couldn't make it into an acronym - I wish that was done to be ironic, but I suspect it was not):
https://www.bliss.army.mil/IronSoldierStrong/Classes/Emotional/Hunt%20the%20Good%20Stuff.pdf

Another good slide deck describing the program as implemented:
https://positivepsychologyprogram.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/SERNA-JOE-Comprehensive-Soldier-Fitness.pdf

Another good resource to tap into for resilience is the work by Victor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, which describes Frankl's experiences in the Nazi death camps, and the philosophy that grew out of his experiences. A powerful quote:
What was really needed was a fundamental change in our attitude toward life. We had to learn ourselves and, furthermore, we had to teach the despairing men, that it did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life—daily and hourly. Our question must consist, not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual.
The video the students assigned was interesting. I think there are a lot of great stories of resilience out there. Resilience is a fundamental human theme. What I liked about this video was Asher's (the speaker) message about trusting that opportunity would come, and therefore it was essential to prepare. I like that sense of agency. I also liked that she coupled her sense of agency with a sense of luck and generosity. I prefer to think of myself as collaborative, but I don't think I would have given my competition all the answers, even on a good day.

I'm interested to see what the students do with this topic.


No comments:

Post a Comment