Saturday, February 17, 2018

Class 4 - Emotional Intelligence

For this coming Monday's class we will be talking about emotional intelligence (EI or EQ). The students leading the discussion asked us to watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-jzWFQLopk

and take this quiz:

http://globalleadershipfoundation.com/geit/eitest.html

I have been working with a physician leadership development program that is heavily focused on growing emotional intelligence, so I have been thinking about this quite a bit lately. I have become more and more convinced that emotional intelligence is an important leadership trait. It's a wide ranging construct that incorporates many capabilities and behaviors, so it is not a silver bullet that is meaningfully summed up with one number, which I rather liked about this test.

On a scale of 1-10, with 10 being the highest, I scored:

5    Self-awareness
9    Self-management
10  Social Awareness
10  Relationship management

As I reflected on those numbers, I felt the self-awareness score was too low, and the rest too high. So I have to conclude the tool is not great. I do like the constructs described in the analysis, which you can see here:

http://www.maetrix.com.au/emotional-intelligence/


In particular, I like this 2x2, which is not really a categorization tool like most 2x2s, but instead describes a flow.

I am a very reflective person, which is why I think the self-awareness score is too low. I spend a lot of time examining my own behaviors and thoughts and trying to improve the processes. Unfortunately, I have a lot of weaknesses. A trusted colleague said to me the other day, "You can go down a rat hole," meaning when I can get quite negative in my self-reflection at times. That's an indication of a lack of accurate self-assessment.

In terms of self-management, I think the score is maybe just a bit too high. I am very driven, though maybe not toward traditional goals. To be successful in the Army, you had to be adaptable. I do get frustrated at times when things aren't going the way I think they should, but I usually drive on despite that fact.

In terms of social awareness, I am a fairly personable person, and go out of my way to develop relationships (which leads to relationship management). I am empathetic (to a point where it sometimes gets in my way), and, through my many years in the Army, I believe I have developed a fine sense of service orientation, and even obligation.

In most of my professional career I have worked hard at relationship management, though I have to confess I have at times failed to work on that area as much as I should have within my own office/organization, while putting a heavy emphasis on bridging capital between my organization and other organizations. I learned that lesson the hard way many years ago and have since put an equal weight on both. The thing that motivated me the most as a leader was developing others; the thing I disliked the most was conflict management. In a sense, this mix led me to leave operations and pursue teaching. I found I was always seeking out opportunities to coach and teach when I was working in organizations. And what caused me the most stress was working with low performing, intransigent individuals. Becoming a teacher helped me play to my strengths and minimized my exposure to my weaknesses. I love working with bright young people who are looking to grow and make their mark on the world, and as a result, my job is very rewarding. And the fact that I had the self-awareness to make that jump, and to accept my strengths and weaknesses should indicate that my self-awareness score is a bit too low. Many people can't figure out what they are meant to do - I figured it out a long time ago.




No comments:

Post a Comment